Zordan and Cuccarolo finished behind the sprinter from Piemonte. Antonio Morgado is the new Maglia Verde
Sarzana, 2 September 2022 – The morning half-stage of the 46th Giro della Lunigiana was won by Mirko Bozzola (Piemonte), who has left behind him at the sprint the Veneto duo made up of Giovanni Zordan and Giovanni Cuccarolo. The race was characterized by a solo attack by Jens Verbrugghe (Belgium), who wascaught 5 km from the finish by a small group of ten counter-attackers who had gained an advantage due to a crash in the main peloton.
Less than 2 km from the finish, it was Noa Isidore (France) who tried a finisseur attack but at the last km he was also caught by the peloton. In the sprint Mirko Bozzola, who was part of the counterattackers, managed to keep the two Veneto riders behind.
Thanks to the result achieved in the stage, Antonio Morgado is the new Maglia Verde as leader of the General Classification with Simone Gualdi and Michal Zelazowski on the podium with the same time as the Portuguese.
In the afternoon at 4:30 pm appointment with stage 2B from Massa to San Carlo Terme.
1 Mirko Bozzola (Piemonte) 46.8km in 57’39”
2 Giovanni Zordan (Veneto) st
3 Giovanni Cuccarolo (Veneto) st
1 Antonio Morgado (Portugal)
2 Simone Gualdi (Lombardia) st
3 Michal Zelazowski (Poland)
After crossing the finish line, the stage winner Mirko Bozzola said: “I am very happy, I was in the group in front and I was able to manage the moment of reunion making myself ready for the sprint. I was not very optimistic about the progress of the stage, I thought it would be difficult to get back to Verbrugghe. I dedicate the victory to Team Piemonte, after the two victories of 2021 our magical moment continues at the Giro della Lunigiana.”
THE OFFICIAL JERSEYS OF THE 46TH GIRO DELLA LUNIGIANA
The leader jerseys of the 46th Giro della Lunigiana are designed by PISSEI.
- Maglia Verde, leader of the General Classification, sponsored by Poliartigiana Srl – Antonio Morgado (Portugal)
- Maglia Blu, leader of the Points Classification, sponsored by Regione Liguria – Michal Zelazowski (Poland)
- Maglia a Pois, leader of the KOM, sponsored by Confindustria La Spezia – Samuel Novak (Slovakia)
- Maglia Bianca, leader of the Young Riders Classification, born after 01/01/2005, sponsored by Spigas Clienti / Terre di Luni – Simone Gualdi (Lombardia)
- Maglia Rossa, leader of the Intermediate Sprints, sponsored by Assessorato allo Sport della Regione Liguria / Memorial Massimo Vanello – Andrea Raccagni Noviero (Liguria)
- Maglia Azzurra, leader of the Italian Riders Classification, sponsored by Conad – Simone Gualdi (Lombardia)