An early breakaway changes the general classification. Widar loses the Maglia Verde after being dropped on the Portello. Nordhagen new Maglia Verde with 7″ on Bisiaux
Chiavari, 1 September 2023 – Big changes in the 47th Giro della Lunigiana that, in the 96 km Portofino-Chiavari, was upset by a early breakaway that gave the sixth stage victory in the last three editions to France thanks to Maxime Decomble. The transalpine rider won a sprint of a nine riders group, most of them on the front since Colle Caprile, rejoined along the Portello descend by Norwegian Jorgen Nordhagen, second in the general classification at the start from Portofino. Nordhagen was 24 seconds behind the leading group atop the Portello climb in the company of the Maglia Verde Jarno Widar, a pair that broke out early in the demanding descent when the Course de la Paix winner took the initiative and soloed back to the front. The nine leaders – Bisiaux, Decomble, Sanchez (France), Ingebritsen, Nordhagen (Norway), Goszczurny (Poland), Sumpik (Czech Republic), Finn (Liguria), Mottes (Trento) – cooperated all the way to the finish (with the exception of an attack launched by Finn on the descent) where Decomble managed to outsprint Ingebritsen and Mottes.
In the general classification Nordhagen leads with 7″ over Bisiaux and 14″ over the Maglia Bianca Goszczurny. Thanks to today’s result Lorenzo Finn takes the lead in the Maglia Azzurra classification with 1″ over Lorenzo Mottes.
1 Maxime Decomble (France) – 96 km in 2h27’13” average speed 39.126 km/h
2 Storm Ingebrigtsen (Norway) s.t.
3 Lorenzo Mottes (Trento) s.t.
1 Jorgen Nordhagen (Norway)
2 Leo Bisiaux (France) at 7″
3 Patryk Goszczurny (Poland) at 14″
A few minutes after crossing the finish line, stage winner Maxime Decomble said: “I am very happy. Today’s goal for the team was to attack with a view to the general classification, which is why Clement Sanchez and I got into the day’s breakaway. Leo Bisiaux came back on the Portello and, when we saw that Widar was missing, we collaborated with the other escapees. I thank the team who helped me so much to setup the sprint. The Maglia a Pois wasn’t an objective, we’ll see how it goes and whether I should keep it.”
The Maglia Verde Jorgen Nordhagen said: “It was a nice day. To take the Maglia Verde in the queen stage is such an important satisfaction. I hope to keep it until the end, this is my main goal.”
(Foto Roberto Fruzzetti/Ciclismoblog)
THE OFFICIAL JERSEYS OF THE 47TH GIRO DELLA LUNIGIANA
The leader jerseys of the 47th Giro della Lunigiana are designed by ALKA.
- Maglia Verde, leader of the General Classification, sponsored by Poliartigiana Srl – Jorgen Nordhagen (Norway)
- Maglia Blu, leader of the Points Classification, sponsored by Regione Liguria – Jarno Widar (Belgium)
- Maglia a Pois, leader of the KOM, sponsored by Confindustria La Spezia – Maxime Decomble (France)
- Maglia Bianca, leader of the Young Riders Classification, born after 01/01/2006, sponsored by Spigas Clienti / Terre di Luni – Patryk Goszczurny (Poland)
- Maglia Rossa, leader of the Intermediate Sprints, sponsored by Assessorato allo Sport della Regione Liguria / Memorial Massimo Vanello – Alessandro Failli (Rappresentativa Lunigiana)
- Maglia Azzurra, leader of the Italian Riders Classification, sponsored by Conad – Lorenzo Finn (Liguria)