The decisive action starts in Fosdinovo. The Trentino rider wins over Bessega and Omrzel. Nordhagen crashes on the final descent
Terre di Luni, 2 September 2023 – Italy, at last! The 47th Giro della Lunigiana, in the Terre di Luni Stage, saw the first Trento victory since 2017, when Alberto Marini won in Casano di Luni. It was Lorenzo Mottes to break this streak in a sprint of a small group, after an action born on the ramps of the last climb of the day, Fosdinovo. The rider from Trento, together with Maglia Azzurra Lorenzo Finn, had been among the promoters of the decisive attack. Just a few kilometres from the top of Fosdinovo, the Maglia Verde Nordhagen was able to rejoin the escapees in the company of Jarno Widar and Leo Bisiaux, but it was on the descent where the situation changed once again. Nordhagen crashed on one of the first turns, leaving his hopes of winning the stage and, above all, the Maglia Verde, behind him. The collaboration between the leading seven, in which there were four Italian riders, meant that Nordhagen finished 52 seconds down. With one stage to go, the new leader is Leo Bisiaux with 12″ on Lorenzo Finn and 15″ on Lorenzo Mottes. However, anything can still happen in a Giro della Lunigiana full of twists and turns and with three different classification leaders in three days.
1 – Lorenzo Mottes (Trento) – 101.5 km in 2h21’00” average speed 43.191km/h
2 – Andrea Bessega (Friuli Venezia Giulia) s.t.
3 – Jakob Omrzel (Slovenia) s.t.
1 Leo Bisiaux (France)
2 Lorenzo Finn (Liguria) at 12″
3 Lorenzo Mottes (Trento) at 15″
A few minutes after crossing the finish line, stage winner Lorenzo Mottes said: “I was almost called the eternal second, but today I made it. Yesterday I had gone beyond my limit, so I had some doubts, but in the final I felt good and I chose the right wheel in the sprint. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow, I definitely won’t settle for the podium.”
The Maglia Verde Leo Bisiaux said: “On the climb there was a lot of selection, then Nordhagen took a few too many risks and fell. We worked well together until the end and now I am wearing this very prestigious jersey, which I want to defend until the end. I have a very strong team but there are a lot of riders close together, I always think the Norwegians can attack. We’ll see how it goes.”
THE OFFICIAL JERSEYS OF THE 47TH GIRO DELLA LUNIGIANA
The leader jerseys of the 47th Giro della Lunigiana are designed by ALKA.
- Maglia Verde, leader of the General Classification, sponsored by Poliartigiana Srl – Leo Bisiaux (France)
- Maglia Blu, leader of the Points Classification, sponsored by Regione Liguria – Jarno Widar (Belgium)
- Maglia a Pois, leader of the KOM, sponsored by Confindustria La Spezia – Jarno Widar (Belgium)
- Maglia Bianca, leader of the Young Riders Classification, born after 01/01/2006, sponsored by Spigas Clienti / Terre di Luni – Lorenzo Finn (Liguria)
- Maglia Rossa, leader of the Intermediate Sprints, sponsored by Assessorato allo Sport della Regione Liguria / Memorial Massimo Vanello – Thomas Capra (Trento)
- Maglia Azzurra, leader of the Italian Riders Classification, sponsored by Conad – Lorenzo Finn (Liguria)